Brandt School Universit├Ąt Erfurt

Visa Procedures

A visa authorizes you to enter -- but not to remain in -- Germany. Visas have an expiration date and may be valid for different time periods and purposes (pleasure, business, study).

For students from EU and EFTA countries, Switzerland, Canada, the USA and a couple of other countries, no entry visa is required. Please check the list on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office for details.

Most international students from countries outside the European Union who want to enroll at a German university may only do so with a Student Visa. You must apply for a visa in your home country at the German Embassy or Consulate. In general, the following documents must be submitted along with a visa application form:

  • Notification of admission to study at the University of Erfurt

  • Proof of sufficient financial means to cover living expenses for the duration of at least the first academic year in Erfurt (currently approx. 750 Euro per month) and all fees

  • Copy of a higher education entrance qualification

  • Health certificate, if necessary (for further information please inquire at the German embassy in your home country)

  • The submission of additional documents (e.g., your birth certificate) may be necessary depending on your country of origin

  • Regulations about biometric photos for ID documents are strict in Germany

For further information about the format of the biometric passport photo, please click here.

Processing a visa application usually takes up to three months - and might take even longer in many cases. Please apply as early as possible!

It is your responsibility to apply for a visa timely so that you can arrive on time in Erfurt to begin your studies on time.

If you require an entry visa for Germany, please note the following:

!!!Never travel to Germany on a tourist visa because a tourist visa cannot be converted into a student visa. Note that entering the country on a tourist visa will not enable you to enroll at the University of Erfurt and will require you to leave Germany after three months, instead!!!