Brandt School Universität Erfurt

What are useful websites?

All are very good sources to cross-check and gather additional information with regard to almost every aspect of living and studying in Germany (in English and other languages). We encourage you check them out!

What you should do when still at home:

  • Apply for a student (not a tourist) visa

  • Determine what kind of health insurance you will need

  • Seek accommodations in Erfurt

  • Pay the tuition fee

What you should take with you when coming to Erfurt:

  • A passport valid for the full period of your stay in Germany (otherwise, you must return to your home country when it expires)

  • Notification of admission for your studies at the University of Erfurt

  • Scholarship award (if one has been granted to you)

  • Appropriate proof of sufficient financial means

  • Visa, if required

  • Proof of health insurance from your home country if you obtain it at home

  • An international student identity card (advisable, but not necessary)

  • At least 4 passport photographs ( please see the requirements here )

  • Prescription medication and inoculation certificate

  • Travellers' cheques and some cash for your arrival

  • EC bank card or credit card

What you will have to do when you arrive in Germany:

  • Purchase health insurance, if not already done at home

  • Pay the semester contribution

  • Register at the university and pick up your student identity card

  • Register at the Foreigners’ Registration Authority (Residency permit)

  • Open a bank account

  • Find and move into your room or apartment, sign tenancy agreement

What type of arrangements do I have to make concerning health insurance, and when should I do so?

Every student is required to have adequate health insurance coverage at all times. You must provide proof of health insurance when enrolling at the University. There are three possibilities for you to choose from:

  1. Certain countries have bilateral agreements on health insurance with Germany stating that their health insurance policies are valid in Germany. Therefore, students from such countries (mostly within the EU) can simply remain insured in your own country. In order to have your health expenses covered, you must obtain a special form from your domestic national insurance and submit it to the Techniker Krankenkasse or any other local health insurance provider.
  2. You can purchase an internationally accepted health insurance policy while you are still in your home country. Please make sure that it will be accepted by the German health system.
  3. You can purchase a health insurance policy immediately after your arrival in Germany. Please note that it is one of the first things you have to do, as you will not be able to take care of any other formalities in Germany until you have proof of health insurance coverage.

Are student residence halls available?

MPP students may apply for student housing in one of the University’s student halls of residence in Erfurt. However, the number of rooms available -- especially the number of single apartments -- is very limited. Placements are made on a first-come-first-served basis, so be sure to apply as soon as you have been accepted to the MPP program. See here for details, or visit the website of the Studentenwerk Thüringen.

Can I work part-time in order to finance my living expenses in Germany?

Yes, you are free to take on a part-time job while studying at the Brandt School, provided that it does not interfere with your studies and that you do not violate your visa stipulations.

Further details and information on legal regulations can be found on the DAAD's website on working.

Do I have to stay in Erfurt while writing my master's thesis during the last term?

Technically, there is no formal obligation for you to be in Erfurt during this time (fourth semester). (Those of you with scholarships should consult your Scholarship Awards to see if they include a residency requirement.) However, we strongly recommend that students remain in Erfurt due to the mandatory  research colloquium that takes place during the period of instruction and also because of the advantage of staying in personal contact with your academic mentor. Finally, we have had some poor experiences in the past of students trying to combine doing an internship with writing their master's thesis. We therefore advise students not to do so. The only exception here is if your internship is directly linked to your topic and if your internship organization is willing to allow you sufficient time to do your research.